Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Alfred Hitchcock presents

Couldn't sleep last night as I wrestled with a looming dead line and lack of inspiration, so I flipped through the channels. I stumbled upon this channel called RTV. Apparently, they play a lot classic t.v. shows. Intrigued, I settled in to watch an episode of Alfred Hitchkock presents (1962). The story started out somewhat sad with a young girl losing both parents. (The young girl had the biggest puppy dog eyes you ever did see.) Within minutes, the story line had me emotionally attached.

A relative took the young girl in and quickly found that the child had an unusual past time which was talking with imaginary friends. Initially, the young girl alarms her care giver with this behavior and is urged to stop. However, to no avail. (At this point, I trying to figure out what type of mechanics will Mr. Hitchcock employ to deliver something truly unexpected. I mean, what harm could this be for a six year old to have fake playmates? )

As the irritation grows, the care givers delegates the duties of watching the young girl to her African American servant maid and driver. They listen and engage the young child so much so that she reveals intimate details of what she does with her friends. (Much to the chagrin of her care giver if I might add.)

After a summer of shenanigans, the little girl's grandfather comes to town and carries with him a present for the girl. It was a black doll almost as big as the girl. (Now, it was a blast from the past to see black servants.  But to give the girl a servant doll really had my attention)....Just as the little girl confided in the servants before she wasted no time regaling them with adventurous tales and what she would do should her care giver come between her and her friends.

The struggle between herself and caregiver became so strained that it pushed the young girl to a place of no return.

I won't divulge how it ended but it was an hour well spent. The foreshadowing was spot on and I can't wait to catch another episode. Classic :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment