Wednesday, February 16, 2011

For Colored Girls.....

Just watched this movie on DVD. Where do I begin? Had I known that this was based on a play entitled "For Colored Girls who have Considered Suicide", I could have mentally prepared for what ensued on screen. Abusive relationships, issues of rape, abortion, suicide,  and HIV fight for equal screen time with no beak in between. It at times seemed overwhelming to digest as one incident after another left the characters broken and yet miraculously coherent enough  to spout sonnets of pain and frustration.

The cast was impressive to say the least with the like Whoopi, Phylicia Rashad, Thandie Newton and Anika Noni Rose. Each of which offered captivating performances of struggle. If I am not mistaken almost every main character cried. It started remind of "Precious" where the director served up a feast of misfortune to a captive audience only expecting snack.

In some ways Tyler attempts to be so introspective, deep, and preachy at times that I lost my connection to the characters. Not to mention the poetry disrupts the flow of the film to me. It was too much to digest at once.

Hopefully, Tyler can stop reaching for extremes in society and began to reflect it as it is. But that is just my novice opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment