Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Charlie Sheen and Libya's Gadhafi go together like PB&J


For some reason, the world is obsessed with bat sh*t crazy people. Like the current PB&J sandwich of news stories focused on Charlie Sheen and Libya's Muammar Gadhafi.

At least our concern about Libya is warranted given their oil reserves and our incessant addiction to oil. (Oh yeah, there are human lives at stake. For a moment, I got all wrapped up in America's narcissism.) I am hesitant to say that America should get involved given our  government's current predicament. With two wars, a very fragile economy, and our mounting debt, we are in no position to take the lead on this one. Not to mention helping rebels has back fired in the past.

My hope is that this unrest changes the American outlook on what energy sources we rely on and continue to depend on in the furture.  Maybe, it will spur a push for real innovation and access to alternative sources of energy. Here in Seattle, there are plug in stations for cars and more to come. At least that is one step toward breaking our dependency on oil.

It is no secret that our addiction to oil continues to make us vulnerable. My fear is that the American public will began to tune out this crisis and focus more on Charlie Sheen's unraveling. Or even worse try to apply pressure on our government to "drill, baby drill".

How is it that Charlie Sheen gets the same media focus as evil dictator who is murdering his own people? Let's see the vulnerability of an entire country vs. crazy antics of a hollywood playboy. Hmmm, I imagine for some it is a difficult choice. I guess people don't care about the connection between what we consume and how it gets to us. Living vicariously through the rich and famous matters more.

I must have been living under a rock because until recently because I did not know that this "2 and Half Men" was still on. I mean who watches that show anyway? It is not as if Charlie is a comedian. His antics simply spotlight his addition to drugs. Yet the viewing audience can't seem to turn away. Secretly, I think people  enjoy watching to the rich and famous crash and burn. It helps people feel better about their miserable lives.  

Well, not me. My life is far from perfect but I have better things to do with my time than be engaged by his foolishness. In protest, I have begun turning the channel. I am over it. Who cares about his girlfriends, the loss of custody for his kids, or even the network firing him.

The media is supposed to provide the public access to current news issues. However, it seems more often than not they grab a hold of topic and knaw on it til it has lost all the flavor. In my opinion, that is a diservice to the public and the issue of focus. Even my daughter has her limits when it comes to PB&J. By the 5th day in a row, she throws it in the trash.

But that is just my opinion...

No comments:

Post a Comment