Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Japan tragedy means spells big business for the makers of Iodide tablets

Let me start off by saying the tragedy in Japan is horrific. I pray for a speedy recovery for the country and it people. But, this blog is not about the crisis in Japan. It is about the hypochondria that seems to grip this country ever time there is a world issue.

Remember those African killer bees, SARS, or more recently  Swine flu. It is one thing to be cautious. But it is another to incite pandemonium. For that, I blame the media as a whole for their news coverage of the tragedy. They have gone far beyond making people aware of the crisis and nuclear threat.  They are all recycling information and news footage. I realize that in news, reporters are supposed to localize the story to make people more empathetic. But, this leans toward the irresponsible. 

Here is Washington, iodide tablets are flying off the shelves as people brace themselves for radiation coming from Japan. Experts readily admit that we are exposed to radiation everyday from the ground, cell phones, and other things in the atmosphere. And yet, people seem not to care.

How about for once all the Americans looking to protect their backsides think of someone other than themselves? Why not send the tablets to people who really need them? There are people in Japan with very little food, water, and clothing. In addition, they are grappling with the serious threat of radiation exposure. I swear it seems like we are unfazed by world tragedies unless it affects us. Are we that narcissistic? 

Maybe it is just me. But when your friend is down, you try to do everything in your power to pick them back up. Your issues become secondary when you genuinely care. As an American, I don't think we really care. What do you think?



1 comment:

  1. I definitely think we are THAT narcissistic, which is pathetic and sad. I mean, by human nature everyone has the desire to take care of themselves and their loved ones, so if it seems like even a bit of a threat is taking place it seems to make the rest of the world seem irrelevant. I don't think it's right, but it is the way it is--not just America (although I DO think Americans tend to be more narcissistic) but people every where.

    I think for most the issue is that we really DO empathize and feel deeply saddened and worried and hurt for those hurt is the natural disasters...but it is so easy to feel helpless towards it. Yes, I can donate $20, $50--$10,000 towards relief efforts, but it still doesn't FEEL like it is accomplishing enough. It is that feeling that I think discourages people and makes them resort back to "well, I'm not making a big difference so might as well take care of myself while I'm at it". The fact is, every bit of effort helps.. but I think people like feeling and having something tangible--a smile from doing some good from a loved one as opposed to not knowing if your little bit of help from half way around the world is doing anything. It all adds up which is why EVERYONE should make some effort, but it is hard for people to see the big picture.

    ReplyDelete